Friday, January 28, 2011

Roots

Nine years ago next month John and I moved here with the intention of him going back to school while working for his current employer. We planned to be here for four years, tops. I got a job at Borders books because it was the only place I knew how to get to. My local geography knowledge for the first three years was lousy, because we were not going to be here much longer so why gain only semi-useful knowledge.
Things changed, we got a dog, bought a house and had a baby. All the while thinking that one day we would make our way back out West. Once Odin was born I became much more rooted to this place. Minnesota was/is my home. It's where I live, where we play, and where most of our adventures take place.
Recently John's company gave us a good reason to uproot ourselves. We are headed out to Washington State where John will have much the same job in a much different geographical area. It was a very big decision for us to make, stay or go . . . stay or go.
It brought to mind hearing about my parents 'plan' live in Michigan a few years (back in the 1970's) then move back to California. It hasn't happened yet, but I believe it will for them someday.
For us the day will come very soon, about the third week in February. We will move to Olympia WA. Now that I finally connected to this place, it is time to find a new one.
We are all excited about the opportunities we will gain and I also know that we will be back to Minnesota for visits, we still have family way up North. And now were are getting much closer to having friends in every state.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sad and happy for you, sad that you'll be even further away, and happy that you're planning your escape.

    ReplyDelete