Friday, February 11, 2011

Chimpanzee behavior

In the 6th or 7th grade I took a keyboard class. A class that in a different era would have been called a typing class. Mr. Wagner lorded over the computer lab, while my classmates and I practiced typing. It was a full ten fingers on the keyboard, working on accuracy, (and not looking) timed typing tests kind of typing class. I remember not excelling in the class and have impressed myself with age in typing accuracy, speed, and well, all that I was supposed to learn in his class. I did however take away some of his odd typing lingo. When a classmate would get frustrated and start using more force than necessary with the keys he would bellow "Stop banging on the keyboard, that's chimpanzee behavior!". Also if one was using only one finger from one hand and seeking out each individual key he would call that "pecking" (I can only presume he was making reference to a chicken eating.
I think about these things often when I hear people banging on keyboards, and ever more so with pecking, isn't that how one sends texts? Or uses a web enabled handheld device (like our shiny new itouch?).
As I was playing with the itouch earlier, I could hear Mr. Wagner in my head imploring me to stop pecking at the keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment