Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Six hundred and eighty

It has become apparent that the moss in the yard will not go away by itself. This weekend we decided to help it. Only it needed a lot more help than we were prepared for. It all stated last weekend when I mowed the lawn so the grass did not cover up the moss. Then I applied a granular moss killer (iron). Not much happened. After talking with some friends I realized that the granular was not the way to go. So we bought the liquid and a sprayer. That stuff worked FAST! Finally we rented a thatching machine (I kept calling her Margaret, haha) and by the looks of it ruined the yard. While Odin and I were at a birthday party Johno crammed a lot of the moss into our compost can ( and two neighbors cans). When we came home there was still too much moss. So we pulled out the trailer and loaded it up with 680 pounds of moss.  Did I mention that we only did half of the backyard? We wanted to leave some places to play on while all this was happening. It doesn't look very nice right now, but we have high hopes.
this is the "before"

"Margaret" at work

piles of work

this is what 680 pounds of moss looks like

1 comment: