Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Cake Season

Fall growing up always meant one thing. Cake Season. It all starts with my sister's birthday in October. Then, a week later it is my dad's. I follow about a month later (right around Thanksgiving) and my mom sneaks in a week before Christmas.
Then I got married to a man whose birthday is 4 days after my mom's (month and day only . . . not year). Oh and then we had a son who was born eight days after John.
It truly is a season of cakes.
My mom was great when my sister and I were little. There were no recycled cakes, no multiple names on cakes, we each got our own according to our own whims.
I have come to realize (in my 33 years!) that it really is great to have a birthday near a holiday. Yes for a number of years it meant my birthday was a travel day, or Turkey day, but most years I get to be around people that I love and don't get to see as often as I would like.

My parents, sister, brother in law, and my aunt all got to celebrate with me this year and it was fantastic. My sister went all out planning a Paper Crane themed party. Complete with favors, origami paper packets and guided folding demonstrations. So so much fun. Instead of cake I requested apple pie cookies and my dad was nice enough to make them for the whole crew. I also requested turkey free meals, I like turkey, but only the kind that you buy from the deli as sandwich meat!



Thank you to everyone who helped make it a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment